The Kikkawa clan (吉川氏 Kikuchi-shi) was a clan in feudal Japan descended from the Fujiwara family that ruled the provinces of Izumo, Aki, and Suō (Kyūshū) during the Sengoku period.
The most famous member of the clan was probably Kikkawa Motoharu (1530-1586), general of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who adopted him into the family.
Together with the Kobayakawa clan, the Kikkawa played an important role in the Toyotomi conquest of Kyushu (1586-7), and later became daimyō in Izumo province, residing in Iwakuni Castle.
Kikkawa Clan History
Kikkawa Tsuneyoshi (吉川経義), founder of the clan, was the son of Irie Kageyoshi (入江景義), whose clan Irie descended from the southern family of the Fujiwara clan through the Kudō clan.
Kikkawa Clan leaders
- Kikkawa Tsuneyoshi (吉川経義, 1132-1193), son of Irie Kageyoshi (入江景義), and founder of the clan.
- Kikkawa Tomokane (吉川友兼, 1159-1200)
- Kikkawa Tomotsune (吉川朝経, 1182-1240)
- Kikkawa Tsunemitsu (吉川経光, 1192-1267)
- Kikkawa Tsunetaka (吉川経高, 1234-1319)
- Kikkawa Tsunemori (吉川経盛, 1290-1358)
- Kikkawa Tsuneaki (吉川経秋, ? -1383)
- Kikkawa Tsunemi (吉川経見, ? -1435)
- Kikkawa Tsunenobu (吉川経信, 1396-1456)
- Kikkawa Yukitsune (吉川之経, 1415-1477)
- Kikkawa Tsunemoto (吉川経基, 1428-1520)
- Kikkawa Kunitsune (吉川国経, 1443-1531), his daughter married Mōri Motonari.
- Kikkawa Mototsune (吉川元経, 1459-1522), married the daughter of Mōri Hiromoto, who was sister Mōri Motonari.
- Kikkawa Okitsune (吉川興経, 1508-1550), his mother was daughter of Mōri Hiromoto and sister of Mōri Motonari.
- Kikkawa Motoharu (吉川元春, 1530-1586), second son of Mōri Motonari.
- Kikkawa Motonaga (吉川元長, 1548-1587)
- Kikkawa Hiroie (吉川広家, 1561-1625)
- Kikkawa Hiromasa (吉川広正, 1601-1666)
- Kikkawa Hiroyoshi (吉川広嘉, 1621-1679)
- Kikkawa Hironori (吉川広紀, 1658-1696)
- Kikkawa Hiromichi (吉川広逵, 1695-1715)
- Kikkawa Tsunenaga (吉川経永, 1714-1764)
- Kikkawa Tsunetomo (吉川経倫, 1764-1803)
- Kikkawa Tsunetada (吉川経忠, 1766-1803)
- Kikkawa Tsunekata (吉川経賢, 1791-1807)
- Kikkawa Tsunehiro (吉川経礼, 1793-1837)
- Kikkawa Tsunekira (吉川経章, 1794-1844)
- Kikkawa Tsunemasa (吉川経幹, 1829-1867)
- Kikkawa Tsunetake (吉川経健, 1855-1909)
Known members of the Kikkawa Clan
- Kikkawa Tsuneie (?-1581)
- Kikkawa Motoharu (1530-1586) - general who served Hideyoshi; died in the Kyūshū campaign
- Kikkawa Motonaga (1547-1587) - son of Motoharu
- Kikkawa Hiroie (1561-1625) - another son of Motoharu; daimyō of Izumo and then Iwakuni
- Kikkawa Hiromasa - third son of Motoharu
- Yoshikawa Koretari (1616-1694) - also known as Kikkawa Koretari; Shinto philosopher
- Kikkawa Reika (1875-1929) - painter Yamato-e